The CDE (Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology) was established in 1994, with the view to introduce much needed higher levels of care for persons with diabetes mellitus in South Africa. The CDE is the leading diabetes management solutions enterprise in South Africa. Our mandate is to improve the health and the lives of people with diabetes. This is achieved in a number of ways, including, inter alia;
- the provision of various formal diabetes management programmes, in partnership with medical aid schemes;
the education and accreditation of healthcare professionals in diabetes care principles;
the publishing of various diabetes healthcare journals, for patients and healthcare professionals;
the deployment and management of various diabetes initiatives in local communities;
- the working with various healthcare stakeholders, in advisory capacities;
the endorsement and making available of various diabetes products that aid better diabetes health;
and the participation in various diabetes related research projects.
Learna, through our education platforms Diploma MSc and StudyPRN, is an award winning provider of online learning. We provide high-quality medical education globally.
This Mastercourse has been created for health professionals who work in primary and secondary care. It will allow you to focus on clinically relevant areas of diabetes that will help develop the management of patients with the disease. The course is delivered by eminent national and international experts in diabetes: Prof. Steve Davies, Endocrinologist; and Dr. Atul Kalhan, Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology.
Why choose to study with us?
- Online flexible learning allows you to study when it suits you.
- 12-week part-time course to fast-track your diabetes knowledge.
- High quality education.
- Respected faculty with expertise in diabetes.
- Innovative educational delivery.
- 120 hours of CPD.
- Endorsed by Diabetes UK Cymru.
- On successful completion of this course, you will attain a certificate to include in your CPD development portfolio.
The online course lasts for twelve weeks and is structured around ten subjects:
- Epidemiology, diagnosis and classification
- Pathophysiology of diabetes
- Oral therapies
- Injectable therapies
- Complications of diabetes: Macrovascular disease
- Complications of diabetes: Microvascular disease
- Diabetes in special circumstances: Pregnancy, adolescence and elderly
- Diabetic emergencies
- Diabetes patient education
- Diabetes management: socio-economic impact and judicious use of resources
Each week we address a new subject using:
- An introductory talk on the topic by Dr Kalhan/Prof Steve Davies
- Two or more clinically rich cases
- You will be given the opportunity and be expected to discuss the cases within the discussion forum
- An explanatory discussion/model answer video to watch covering the clinically rich cases
- An individual activity for you to complete
- Reflective portfolio questions for you to complete
- A summative assessment to test your knowledge
In the final two weeks, candidates are:
- Expected to review all material covered across all ten subjects, before;
- Sitting their final summative exam of 30 randomly selected questions across all ten subjects
Interested in a Diploma or MSc?
As well as the Mastercourse, Diploma MSc also offer flexible one year, online, part-time Postgraduate Diploma and MSc courses in Diabetes, Endocrinology, Genomic Medicine and Healthcare, Obesity and Weight Management, Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine, Sports and Exercise Medicine, Rheumatology and Respiratory Medicine accredited by the University of South Wales, UK.
Find out more about our PG Diploma in Diabetes